La localidad que vio nacer al navegante Juan Sebastián Elkano

Sea belt of walls

It is one of the two alignments modern era fortifications which gave Getaria, more spacious and robust than medieval. We emphasize the elements still visible:

  • Sea front cloth wall: built in the first quarter of the seventeenth century. He rejected the attempted French landing during the Battle of Getaria (August 23, 1638, the Thirty Years War) what would cast to fret Richelieu plans to conquer Gipuzkoa.
  • “Tronpage”: nickname fortified Sea Gate, located at west at the end of the sea front walls. Built from 1567, during the reign of Felipe II. He had a superior platform for artillery, covered passage bombproof vault and battery in two parts.
  • “Katrapona”: Platform artillery eastern flank wall. The first references to it date from the first half of the sixteenth century.
  • "Baluarte”: Probably designed by the military engineer Antonio Gandolfo. Its construction started after the battle of Getaria the year 1638 to improve the sea defenses of the town and port of Getaria and concludes during the War of Devolución (1667-1668). Today on this bulwark supporting the staircase leading down to the port from the square Katrapona, are visible but its eastern front and decorative molding line protruding from the wall.