La localidad que vio nacer al navegante Juan Sebastián Elkano

Elkano port statue

The first statue of Juan Sebastian de Elcano was built in 1800 by order of another famous sailor and scientist getariarra, Manuel de Agote and Bonechea. For decades was the first factor of the Philippine Company in Cantón (China), later became mayor of Getaria. This statue was badly damaged as a result of the assault of the Carlists suffered the villa in 1836, during the First Carlist War, and was withdrawn. They disagreed on the getariarras not have a monument to Elcano, so that in 1860 the council requested the help of the Provincial Council. Both institutions financed the new bronze statue by the artist Antonio Palao, instituted in 1861 on the platform of the sea gate of the villa. This magnificent work suffered, too, the consequences, in this case the Franco totalitarianism as it was taken away from its original location to be disposed adjacent to the shrine of the Queen of the Seas, which was inaugurated in 1941 in memory of the sailors killed in the sinking of the cruiser Baleares during the Civil War. No Getaria forgot this affront and the statue was returned to its original position after the death of the dictator in 1975.