Getaria is located in the Coastal Range, in an area comprising tertiary materials, forming spectacular eroded hillsides. These eroded layers, when they enter into the sea, create a geological phenomenon called flysch.
Its privileged location is a palette in which all palettes, with a predominance of blue and green are mixed.
From any of the four rural districts, San Prudencio, Askizu, Eitzaga or Meaga, natural spectacle, with the sea as a backdrop, offers a of fields covered by vineyards, whose fruit will be transformed into txakolí.
Between these fields runs the Camino de Santiago known as "the coast" which coming from Zarautz and through the town passes by the medieval hermitage of San Prudencio and reaches Askizu, an idyllic balcony over the Bay of Biscay where is the church of San Martin de Tours, patron of pilgrims and walkers.
In turn, these neighborhoods give the possibility of different routes to know a little further and discover the environment of Getaria. (There are plans at the tourist office).
SAN ANTON MOUNTAIN (THE MOUSE OF GETARIA)
The Monte San Anton, known as Getaria Mouse, is an interesting natural park where you can see a variety of plants and trees, both native and exotic. Until the fifteenth century was an island, but was linked to the town via a boardwalk. Access to the summit leads us first to the lighthouse, in whose grounds are the remains of the chapel of St. Anthony and appends watchtower, from which warned of the proximity of the whales, schools of fish and boats that needed be towed, and the danger of gales and storms. Leaving the lighthouse and continuing the ascent, we reach the highest point of the mountain, where there is a small modern building watchman called Katxapo. The building is nestled inside the remains of the old fort of San Antón. From here, the wonderful views over the Basque coast are the gift that St Anton has to offer. The first draft of the mountain fortress designed in the second half of the seventeenth century. But were the Napoleonic occupation troops which built the first fortifications in 1808 and 1813. However, it was during the First Carlist War was definitely when fortified. Since early 1836, the town taken by assault by the Carlist army, the army remained liberal refuge in the fort of San Antón until 1837. During the last Carlist War (1872-1876) the fort of San Antón was the main fortification that prevented the villa, once again besieged by the Carlists, and was to fall into their hands.
VINEYARDS, NEIGHBORHOOD EITZAGA
A return to neighborhood Eitzaga. We will go towards Zarautz by the N-634 to the direction change.Cross the road and move forward on the path before us, turning off a few meters to the left. When we reach the highest point, turn left along the vineyard. We are above the highway tunnel, Talai. We have to cross the vineyard towards Zarautz. To do this we must look at the floor and find the way. If we see a well in the middle of the vineyard we will be at the right direction.When we see a pear we turn left and continue down. Leaving a hut on the right, arrive at Brook Ubidi. To cross it, you'd better go up the road and round the sawmill. We are just across the creek. Later we will see a dam, on the left. We continue going on.We follow the concrete road, once we left the winery we move towards Gaztaka haundi.We walk behind this village and arrive to another paved road. We go toward the left and soon we will see a sign indicating Meaga.We follow this indication, up the hill until you reach the village Zingireta. After passing the curve we move forward while enjoying spectacular views. We are in the public rural road fromo Zarautz to Zumaia. We pass Larraioz and where ends the pine forest at the left, where there is a birch,we move into the forest to find Gazteluzar. We return to the road. Upon reaching the Alto de Garate road, descend. Leave the village Aranguren back and just before reaching Golindo, take public rural road at our left. We meet with the road, cross it and continue down by the public rural road is in front. At the cemetery we return to the road. After walking along the road, we will reach to a closed curve. We will see that there are stairs leading down to the starting point of our journey.
MEAGA NEIGHBORHOOD AND MOUNTAIN GARATE
Summit of Mount Garate
The surroundings of the neighborhood Meagas. We walk up the road that begins in the street Herrerieta and upon reaching the village Agerre txiki we turn left. We left the Lasalde and Usoategi villages and just before passing the gate of the road to Etxeberri, climb the old main road linking the coast with the interior to the Alto de Garate. We go down to a meadow there is at right and cross it to meet again the road.At the next junction turn left. Later you can see a tree difficult to identify, it is an English oak and around the next bend we see the bioclimatic house Nahikari. In a few minutes we are in the GI-3391 road, we go on to the hermitage of San Isidro. We continue to the GI-2633 road we cross into Elkano and take the first turning left up to Meaga Goiena. Continue in the direction of the sign marking Narbazta and climb the first shifted left to the hermitage of Santa Cruz. We go down the GI-3391, past the villaget Alkortiaga and turning off to the right, as we see the redwoods, we reach the hermitage of San Blas. We must continue, passing a cottage, to the stream of Aldazabal. Here we pass under the highway to meet the train tracks. There is a level crossing on the right, where we cross and continue along the road just in front to the village Añadi. We climbed about 600 m., cross the road and climb up reaching the hut Kajuategi. Later the twisting road ascends to the right, we see the first groups of oaks. Upon reaching the top, cross the meadow to the road. Come to the left, cross the road and continue along the road. A few meters ahead, on the left we see the remains of a fortification. Continuing along the road, after a power pole again we see the Arriaundi rock.
Begin the journey through the streets Herrerieta. At the first corner we walk up the driveway Askizu until the first nucleus of villages and continue going off the Igarategi industrial area. We appear on the GI-3392 road and few meters ahead turn right to head to San Prudencio. We continue along the path between the hostel and the Hermitage of San Prudencio. The road goes into an oak; We continue down. The road leads to the village Alicante. A few meters further we go down the road on the right. We go back a few meters to the village Asti and take the public rural road to Askizu. Once we reach Askizu, we continue to the village Arano. On the right we have two paths, we chose the one below. Reach a crossroads where we will continue to the left. We head Laia Craft Museum. Continue to the left without crossing the road, and soon we will reach the hamlet Karakas. We follow a trail that runs along the vineyards, leaving those at the left. At the next junction we turn left and continue forward until you see the first turn left wich is marked with red and white stripes. We go to a meadow that cross over the edge, going to the right. Later, at the left is a mound marked by Aranzadi Science Society, we can leave the way and read the inscription. We return to the road and continue forward until we see the first road on the left. We descend toward the utility pole. Further down the road is in poor condition; therefore, before you get there cross the field to the left and continue down to the village Etxeberri. On reaching the road we will move to the right. And here we return to the starting point.
SAN PRUDENCIO NEIGHBORHOOD